Welcome to Refresh with Dawn Herring!

Welcome to Refresh with Dawn Herring blog. I'm so glad you stopped by to peruse the transcripts from #JournalChat Live and Links Edition.


You're also welcome to join our #JournalChat Live Facebook Group where we share quality journal keeping content for your journaling practice!


Have a fab day and don't forget to refresh yourself!


Be refreshed,

Dawn Herring

Refresh with Dawn Herrng

Host of #JournalChat Live on social media

Thursday, September 4, 2014

#JournalChat Live Facebook Group Event: Part II Day Two of Your Journaling: Just Say Yes! with Special Guests, Sue Ekins, Beth Terrence and Jennifer Morris


Jen shares:I think that is why I became so 'lost' over the past 10 years of my life - when I was a teenager I used to journal a lot, and I seemed to know myself quite well. Then throughout my 20s I got so busy trying to figure out my career, find a partner etc that I lost touch with myself. Since journaling again I have to come to reconnect with myself - to develop a relationship with the most important person in my life! It's been like catching up with a friend I haven't seen for years - turns out I've known her all along, she's just been waiting to be heard!
11
LikeLike ·  · 
Jen shares: I find I am probably most present when playing in my art journal. It could be because it is more tactile and visual - but I am usually quite engrossed in my art journal and the process. I tend to get into a state of 'flow' (Mihály Csíkszentmihályi) very easily in my art journal. This can sometimes happen in my written journal, but for some reason the abstractness of playing with paint etc allows me to detach from everything else and just play. Whereas in my written journal, I think the use of words and using sentences is more left-brain, logical. We tend to stick to the structures of grammar and language and write with a 'point' - whereas art journaling breaks away from all of that.
12
LikeLike ·  · 
  • Sue Ekins likes this.
  • I want to say that I would highly recommend art journaling to help with being present. What Jen shared about her art journaling experience I can relate to. You don't have to be an "artist" per se to keep one. Using paper and text and images like collage can be a great start. I can't tell you how much fun and free it can be to express yourself outside the typical journal entry. I do both. They are the perfect complements!
    12
    LikeLike ·  · 
    • Jen MorSue Ekins and Jill Winski like this.

    • Jen Mor They really are - I need both! They seem to serve different functions but also the same function, in a way.
      21 hrs · Like
    • Dawn Herring They do, Jen, and Until you've tried it, you won't experience it. and it's well worth experiencing!
      21 hrs · Like · 1
    • Jen shares: Another reason I like the idea of the present moment is because I've often put off doing things - following goals/dreams, starting projects, etc until 'someday'. It's only been more recently as I've been regularly journaling that I've come to find the courage to take creative risks and do it - I've come to realise that the only time we have is now! If I don't do the things I want to do now, then I am not doing them at all, and they exist merely as fantasies. This ties back to what Julia Cameron said in The Artist's Way about how we can only write about something so many times before we take action. That is SO true.
      13
      LikeLike ·  · 
      • Sue Ekins likes this.
      • Sue Ekins Love this!
        21 hrs · Like
      • Dawn Herring Yes! Take action! Being present helps us define what to take action on and be willing to take risks..when we know it's the right move for us. Courage!
        21 hrs · Like · 1
      • Sue Ekins I tried to sign up for an Artist Way class this semester but it got cancelled. I plan to do it on my own.
        21 hrs · Like
      • Sue Ekins But I have read a few of Julia's books and I do understand her concepts.
        21 hrs · Like
      • Jen Mor Yes Sue I think you should do it with the book. You will probably find a facebook group that is doing it, or you could create a meetup on meetup.com in your local area for people who want to do it, and just use the book to guide you. It's fantastic. So worth it.
        21 hrs · Like · 1
      • Sue Ekins Yes, I was thinking I DO need to hook up with a group. Thanks for your support.
        21 hrs · Like
      • Jen Mor We should start a facebook group for people working through The Artist's Way. I know at least two other people who would be keen, and I'm sure many others would join too. If there isn't already one, might be a great community for people.
        21 hrs · Like · 1
      • Sue Ekins Love that thought, too!
        21 hrs · Like
      • Jen Mor There are already several groups, but this one looks good:https://www.facebook.com/groups/artistswayplay/
        • The Artist's Way Playgroup is an online cluster of supportive artists who work (...
        See More
      • Dawn Herring I love the word Play there! I love to Play. My watercolor and art journal are my perfect place to play...oh and playing with grandboy too! 
        21 hrs · Like · 1
      • Jen Mor It is quite big though, so we may want to start a smaller group with like 10 or so people, will depend on what sort of group you want. We could create a group that works through it all together at the same time.
        21 hrs · Unlike · 2
      • Sue Ekins Wow! Jen Mor, you're making my life easy! Thanks!
        21 hrs · Like · 1
      • Sue Ekins I'll look at that group better later, but you're right, maybe it would be better to do it with a group that's starting afresh.
        21 hrs · Like · 1
      • Jen Mor Let me know if you're keen!
        21 hrs · Like · 1
      • Sue Ekins I'm keen!
        21 hrs · Like
      • Jen Mor Ok cool, I'll talk to my friend and see if she is keen too, then we can set something up!
        20 hrs · Like · 1
      • Jen's post reminded me of some of the times when I didn't appreciate what was going on at the time. An example is way back in high school, I remember saying, "If these are the best years of my life, I'd hate to see the worst." But really, they were good years. We never know how long we have with our parents, etc., so it is good to appreciate what's good now. Journaling can help us do that.
        UnlikeUnlike ·  · 

No comments:

Post a Comment